October 4, 2010

Grand Canyon????

So It's still up in the air if I can go...  I don't have work off yet but I'm acting as if I do and hopefully everything will work out fine and I should find out this week if I have it off, so pray for me :).  After finishing the first week, I've had so many questions about the Grand Canyon...  So you really do want to hike the Grand Canyon?  WHY?  What made you decide to do this?  Why?  What would make you think to do this?  Why?  Ok mostly the question Why???  Haha I don't know why by this question makes me laugh.  I think why not?  I also wish they would just read my blog to see all the answers, but I answer them and for some reason it's never a good enough answer because it always seems like they walk away looking at me like a crazy person?  Do you think I'm crazy?  Every time this has happened I think, wow they would laugh to think Bro. Hinton does this at least once a year if not twice, and he was even telling us this weekend that one year he did it 3 times in one year.  Now that sounds like crazy talk!!!!! 

Anyways, with that being said, it was quite a week for training.  Tuesday was supposed to be a 10 mile town hike, and unfortunately I had bunco, yes I didn't want to miss it, so I didn't get that one in.  I did get Thursdays in and it was a 7 mile town hike.  Well, Thursday I go to Ben Whipple's to watch some Thursday shows and we usually start about 9:30 so I thought, well I could arrange the route to end there and just watch the shows afterwards, and that's exactly what I did.  This week we had Jamie, Hayley, Myself, and Angie Johnson join us.  It was quite fun!  We dropped Jamie's car off at the Whipple's, picked Angie up from there, and then went back to my house to start the hike.  We started a little after seven and I feel like we made excellent time.  We got to Ben's at 9:15 so we walked briskly, 7 miles in 2 hours and 5 min but everyone said it should have been faster.  I don't know how we could have done it faster, but whatever :)  We watched our shows and had a good time and luckily Tyler was nice enough to give me a ride home because Jamie left :)

Saturday was the 9 mile hike.  We got up soooo super early, 4:35!!!!!  Now that is REALLY early in my book!  We left the Hinton's at 5 am and got started on the hike at exactly 5:59.  The hike we did this week was called the Black Mesa Loop.  This hike didn't have quite the elevation change as the Fremont Saddle but it was still pretty hard and very long.  This hike was on the opposite side of Weaver's Needle so we still got to see the beautiful scenery and the backside of Weaver's Needle.  This was the first Saturday hike for Jamie, and the first time she'd hiked with Bro Hinton.  She had a lot of questions, well we both did.  Turns out everyone has backed out to do this except me, Jamie and David, and maybe Katherine and of course Bro Hinton.  So on Saturday it was just Bro Hinton, Jamie and myself.  Small group but we had a good time.  We asked questions about how the hike would be when we were in the Canyon, how long it usually takes people and about travel plans to and from the Canyon.  I got this new backpack that has the water in the back and I LOVE IT!!!  It seriously makes me a better hiker, haha probably not, but I don't have to stop and get water out of my back pack, so I can just continue walking and takie a drink at the same time, AWESOME!!!  I thought the scenery was super pretty so I took a ton of pictures.  Hope you enjoy :)

 Me and Jamie at the trail head.  It was a little too early to be taking pictures :(
I LOVE this picture, it seems like you'd just be able to skip out to that mountain, but it's still so far away.

I took this picture while walking to show you what the trail mostly looked like.  LOTS of Cactus. 

We got done at 10:30 and we were pretty proud.  We got home in time for me to go to my ward Lunch for conference and then get back in time for the second round of conference.  I love conference weekend.  It's always the best. 

Later that night I got to go to dinner with Jasmine and Jenna and it was a blast!!!  We went to BJ's and there is nothing better than catching up with them, while eating some Bj's.  I don't get to see them enough!!! 
Then I met up with Afton and we saw the Social Network.  I really liked the movie, it was quite interesting.  I've heard conflicting stories if its completely true or not but either way I liked it.  Very intriguing to see how someone so social backwards invented a social network, but hey I'm not complaining, I waste enough time on Facebook and enjoy every minute of it.  Well I hope you had an enjoyable week and I'll keep you posted on next week's adventure :)

No comments: